Electrical fires in your home are truly terrifying and can cause indefinable damage to both your home and your peace of mind. Taking preventative measures is the best way to ensure that your property is kept safe at all times. Follow these electrical safety tips for your home in order to keep your electrical system functioning well and avoid any frightening emergencies.
Use Correct Wattage: An easy way to keep your home safe from electrical damage and potential electrical fires is to make sure that all of your electrical appliances and fixtures are using the correct wattage. Check all lamps, chandeliers, or other devices for the recommended bulb wattage. In cases of unmarked fixtures, play it safe and use under 60-watts for normal fixtures and under 24 watts for ceiling lights.
Don’t Overload Outlets: An outlet that is powering too many devices and expending a large amount of energy is a serious home hazard. Outlets that overheat can spark and cause significant damage. Do not use multiple extension cords or converters, especially when attaching larger appliances. Smart plugs are available for purchase that automatically turn off appliances when the power is overloaded and are a good option for homeowners to consider.
Repair Electrical Damage: Damaged electrical cords require immediate replacement. If you notice that there is fraying, marks, or other damage on any electrical cords around your home, repair the area or replace it entirely. A damaged electrical cord can cause electrocution or even fire. To keep your current electrical cords in good condition, do not crush them beneath furniture, staple them to a wall, or slipped beneath a rug.
Unplug Unused Appliances: Unplugging any unused appliances is a great electrical safety tip for your home —and your wallet. Not only does it minimize the risk of electrical damage, it can also cut down on costs, as even when appliances are unused, they are still capable of draining energy through the outlet. Prevent any overheating or power surges by getting into the habit of unplugging any device as soon as you are finished.
Avoid Water: Electrical devices —as a general rule—should be kept safely away from water. Water can ruin electrical devices, but more importantly, it can cause severe injury to people in the area. Water can come from a variety of different sources, not just a sink or a shower, so be aware at all times. Carefully consider kitchens, areas where consuming liquids is common, potted plants, water tanks, or more. Always keep your hands dry when handling any electronic devices as well in order to avoid electrocution or other forms of harm.
Keep your family and property safe by closely following these electrical safety tips for your home. All it takes to keep your home safe from electrical damage and costly repairs is careful maintenance and strict adherence to electrical advice.