Cold Weather Electrical Hazards To Avoid

When the weather turns cooler and days grow shorter, there are several electrical hazards homeowners should be aware of. Before winter weather comes around, it can be difficult to imagine the hazards that cold weather poses. You may not have taken the time to consider various things like outdoor lights and extension cords. This post will cover how hazard identification is a crucial component of every home. When we are able to identify the hazards of cold weather, we will be able to take proper precautions during this time of the year.

Outdoor Lights

When you think about outdoor lights, you may only consider how they provide you and your family with safety and security. But they can cause damage and hazards if they are not installed safely.

Outdoor Christmas lights, string lights, and garland are a great decoration, but can be hazardous to your home if they are not properly secured. Light stands should be secured to the ground so they will not blow away. If they are not properly secured, they can damage the exterior of the home. In some instances, the lights can short out and catch on fire.

Many people use extension cords to power their holiday lights, this is especially true when you are using more than one light strand at a single time. Extension cords should be placed in a safe location so they will not easily be damaged by vehicles or children.

Don’t Leave Space Heaters Unattended

Space heaters are common in many homes during the winter. They can be used to heat a room right away and do not require much time to warm the space up. Before using one, you should make sure that the device has a safety tip-over switch installed. This will turn the heating device off if it is knocked over.

Space heaters can overheat and cause fires in your home if not used properly. You should never leave them on unattended. When the heater is needed, make sure that it is not too close to anything that can catch on fire. This includes items like blankets and furniture.

Space heaters should never be plugged into a power strip. If the space heater is combined with other devices that plug into the power strip, it can cause the other devices to overheat.

Get a Carbon Monoxide Monitor if You Don’t Already Have One

All homes should have a carbon monoxide monitor to detect toxic gas leaks. This can prevent you and your family from dying in your own home. If you do not have a carbon monoxide monitor, it is imperative to purchase one immediately.
Carbon Monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can be deadly to anyone who does not have a working carbon monoxide monitor. Typically, people do not even notice when carbon monoxide is in their home because it is impossible to see. When carbon monoxide enters the home, it can be deadly. Once inside, the gas will accumulate in small areas of the home. The gas can build up to lethal levels in a very short amount of time and is often undetectable.

Follow These Tips and Keep Your Family Safe This Winter

Keeping your family safe during the winter is important. Take these hazard identification tips into consideration before cold weather comes around. By following these tips, you will be able to keep your family safe and sound when the temperatures get cooler this winter.

Related Posts
  • Everything You Need To Know About Energy-Efficient Lighting
  • Ways Your Old Wiring Could Be A Commercial Fire Hazard
  • Autumn Electrical Tips From Our Experts