You probably don’t spend too much time thinking about your business’s electrical wiring. That’s a massive mistake because outdated or faulty wiring is one of the leading causes of commercial fires. As a business owner, it’s your responsibility to ensure your wiring is up-to-date and safe.
If you have an older building, there’s a good chance your wiring is outdated. Even if your business is relatively new, your wiring could still be a fire hazard. The problem is that most people don’t even realize there’s a problem until it’s too late.
Here are some of the ways your old wiring could be a commercial fire hazard:
1. Worn Out Insulation
Over time, the insulation around your wires can wear out and break down. This leaves your wires exposed and vulnerable to sparks and short circuits. When this happens, it’s only a matter before a fire starts.
If your wires are exposed, they must be replaced as soon as possible. Exposed wires are a major fire hazard and should be taken care of immediately.
2. Outdated Wiring
If your business is located in an older building, there’s a good chance the wiring is outdated. Older buildings often have knob and tube wiring, which is no longer up to code. These days, most buildings have circuit breakers and ground fault interrupters, which are much safer.
A good rule of thumb is to have your wiring inspected every ten years. This will help ensure that your wiring is up-to-date and safe. It also gives you a chance to have any outdated wiring replaced.
3. Loose connections
Over time, your electrical connections can become loose. This is often due to vibration or movement in the building. Loose connections can cause sparks, which can start a fire. Something else that often goes hand-in-hand with loose connections is corrosion.
A loose connection is an easy problem to fix. All you need to do is tighten the connection. However, if the connection is corroded, you’ll need to have it replaced.
4. Faulty breakers
If your circuit breakers are old or outdated, they may not trip when they’re supposed to. This can cause your wires to overheat and start a fire. Therefore, it’s essential to have your breakers regularly inspected to ensure they’re working properly.
5. Poorly installed wiring
Sadly, it does happen from time to time. Poorly installed wiring is one of the leading causes of commercial fires. If your business has had any work done on the electrical system, it’s essential to have it inspected to ensure the wiring was correctly installed.
Not all electricians perform quality work. It’s not unheard of for an electrician to cut corners, which can put your business at risk. Ensure all the wiring in your business is inspected thoroughly after any work is done.
As you can see, your old wiring could be a commercial fire hazard in many ways. If you have an older building, it’s crucial to have the wiring inspected. Even if your building is relatively new, your wiring could still be a fire hazard. If you’re not sure if your wiring is up-to-date, it’s always better to err on the side of caution and have it inspected by a trusted electrician. It’s better to be safe than sorry when it comes to the electrical wiring of your business.